Monday, September 7, 2009

Walt Disney's Railroad Story: The Small-Scale Fascination That Led to a Full-Scale Kingdom


Walt Disney's Railroad Story: The Small-Scale Fascination That Led to a Full-Scale Kingdom
Thousands of books and articles have been written about Walt Disney and his organization, yet few people realize the significance railroading played in the evolution of the Disney empire. Encouraged by Walt's family and railfans inside and outside the Disney organization, Michael Broggie has chronicled the tale of Walt Disney's personal involvement in railroading.

This book unveils the private realm of Disney railroading through hundreds of photographs, many of which have never before been made public, and interviews with Mrs. Walt Disney, Diane Disney Miller, Ward Kimball, Ollie Johnston, Bob Harpur, Bill Cottrell, Roger Broggie, Bill Evans, and many others.

Walt Disney's love affair with trains began in his hometown of Marceline, Missouri. His first job was selling tobacco, candy, and newspapers on the Missouri Pacific line. By 1950, his enthusiasm for realistic model trains had evolved into an elaborate backyard live steam railroad. Walt's Carolwood Pacific Railroad included a 46-foot-long trestle, loops, overpasses, gradients, an elevated dirt berm, and a 90-foot tunnel underneath Mrs. Disney's flower bed!

The complete history of the Disney railroads, from small scale models to steam trains for the Disney parks is covered. This is a book all Disney collectors and railroad enthusiasts will want to experience! Over 300 illustrations, many previously unpublished.
Customer Review: A great book, worth the money if you love railroads
A friend of mine loaned me the book. I then decided to order one from Amazon.com through one of the private sellers for a great price. When I read how the locomotives were obtained for the Walt Disney World Railroad, I remember a conversation I had back in 1994 with one of Disney World's Magic Kingdom cast members who operated the WDRR. I noticed that the locomotive was a 4-4-0. A cast member there told me all four of the locomotives were found in Mexico, which confirmed what Michael Broggie wrote. Surely if I could not ride a train being pulled by a 4-4-0 so many, many years ago on the west coast, it was complete satisfaction to me that I was able to ride the WDRR train being pulled by a 4-4-0 locomotive on this month in 1994. The book just totally fascinates me about Walt Disney's love of trains. As I will subscribe to a computer model railroad simulation program, I sure like to run a layout similar to Walt Disney's Carolwood Pacific's. Railroads were Walt Disney's dream long before my pal Mickey came around. I visit Disneyland later this month. Thanks be to God for the grace and soul of Walt Disney. He left a legacy for all of us to savor and enjoy.
Customer Review: Hard to find gift
I bought this for a friend. He's a train enthusiast and always wanted this book. But it was so hard to find--and usually cost an arm and a leg. This is going to make for a great Christmas gift. Amazon is a great place for those hard to find items. And quick shipping as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment