Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Disney's Karaoke Series: Little Mermaid


Disney's Karaoke Series: Little Mermaid
Customer Review: Singing a-la Ariel
Good karaoke version of the songs plus added bonuses. Expected more songs from the Little Mermaid but I guess including other songs from her Disney friends made up for it.


DISNEY'S MAGIC EYE
A Disney edition from the popular Magic Eye book series includes instructions on how to make three-dimensional figures appear from computer-generated images of Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Winnie the Pooh, Simba, and more. Original.
Customer Review: Books
I really love these books. I am fascinated by the technique used to get the 3-d affect. I have everyone out.
Customer Review: WOW
I've always loved to look and figure out what picture is inside that one. I love the way it just comes alive and htere are so many layers to some of them. It was a great book.


The Original Four Seasons And The Devil's Trill Sonata / Vanessa-Mae
Customer Review: Vanessa Mae; yes!
Why this young lady isn't mentioned in the same sentence with Midori or others of that ilk I don't know. Could be her penchant for the unusal (think electric violin, jazzed-up classics, etc.)? Probably. But on this CD she plays it straight; close your eyes and think of Isaac Stern only much better looking. I think she's great, and this CD reinforces my opinion.
Customer Review: cheeky and good
It's interesting what other reviewers have to say about Vanessa Mae's Four Seasons album (EMI 1998). While the album averages a decent four stars rating, those who rate it badly are particularly virulent in their reviews: "Sloppy and vapid," "Barely deserves 1 star," "Childish, mischievous, ludicrous," "A chatty teenage girl's Vivaldi." I have to say I like it. I don't care much for Vanessa Mae's other works; She can take her bongo drums and electric violin to some Yanni concert, marry that pseudo-pianist Maksim and have cross-over-children for all I care. But Vivaldi's The Four Seasons is one of my all-time favorite works--I never fail to get high listening to it; it's always an intense listening experience for me. I would think that, given the mastery of the composition--Vivaldi's trademark joie de vivre, his soaring, intricate passages--one should leave well enough alone. But Mae's version of The Four Seasons lends a new perspective on the well-loved work. I can take her improvisations, even if she cheekily titles them the "Original" Four Seasons. I see no harm in rearranging a classic if only to disabuse the familiar. But I can understand the hate. I once lent the album to a friend who had majored in music in collection; she returned it in a huff. I don't like it, she said dismissively. Actually, very emphatically, I remember. I guess for some musicians, Mae's fiddling with the original score amounts to sacrilege, like adding make-up to the Mona Lisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment