Saturday, October 3, 2009

Beauty and the Beat: Favorite Disney Tunes in Steelband Style


Beauty and the Beat: Favorite Disney Tunes in Steelband Style
In the tradition of Heigh-Ho! Mozart, the Trinidad and Tobago Showboat Orchestra perform Beauty and the Beat!, 14 Disney songs in steel-band style. What may seem a novelty is in actuality an innovative and intriguing way to hear such classics as Snow White's "Someday My Prince Will Come" and Mary Poppins's "A Spoonful of Sugar," as well as relative newcomers "Be Our Guest" and "Hakuna Matata" from Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King, respectively. And the sunny syncopated tones of the steel band are perfect for the Calypso-flavored "Kiss the Girl" (reminiscent of "Sloop John B" and "Jamaican Farewell") and the vastly improved "Under the Sea," both from The Little Mermaid. In fact, parents who've grown weary of Ariel and Simba on repeat play will find the Trinidad and Tobago Showboat Orchestra's renditions thankfully exotic and festive. --Paige La Grone
Customer Review: Excellent album of Disney musical tracks!
I thought this album must be a very ordinary album when I first saw its cover. I thought it must be like other Disney song collection, confused and ordinary. However, I was still very curious that how this album could be and I listened to all the tracks with Amazon Listening Sample. Then, I felt it was a wonderful album had glorious musical tracks in it. It makes me recognize Jim Brickman's album "Disney Song Book". I viewed the track list on the back of the CD box when I began to listen to this album. All the tracks were so familiar to me. The original version of "A Spoonful Of Sugar" from "Mary Poppins" is good, though I don't love it so much. Then, this musical track gives me different feeling. It feels as lively as the original version in the movie but gives me purer feeling to my ears. "Someday My Prince Will Come" is a romantic love song, and in this musical track, it feels still so good. The initial romantic feeling hasn't lost at all! There are 3 tracks of songs from "The Little Mermaid" which I love best. I think "Under the Sea" is the best in these 3. The sound of the instruments that played the melody is wonderful, it feels still vivid but not noisy. "Part of Your World" is my favorite song in the movie, but this musical track of it is not as good as the one of "Under the Sea". And 3 classic songs from "The Lion King" are in this album. My favorite musical tracks in these 3 is "I Just Can't Wait to Be King". It feels pretty good. "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" is wonderful too, it gives us romantic and tender feeling just like "Someday My Prince Will Come" does. At first, I mede a mistake that I thought this is a album of "Beauty and the Beast" because I see the word "Beat" on the cover as "Beast"! However, there are tracks of "Beauty and the Beast" in this album indeed, and they're really glorious. 2 of them were from the Broadway Musical, "No Matter What" and "Home". Their original versions are good and so are their musical ones. Tracks of "Beauty and the Beast" are my favorites in this album. Generally speaking, the only shortcoming of this album is that all the tracks have the same style, I feel hard to tell the particular of each track though their melodies are different and they're so classic. However, this is a wonderful album, the tracks are tender and beautiful even there are no words to sing. This is my recently must-listen before my bedtime, the tracks often make me calm and I can have a nice dream. I think this album is fit for children very much, and also fit for many Disney fans who love light music.
Customer Review: Almost as Good as Being at Disney World
One of my favorite resorts at Disney World is the Caribbean Beach. I can't say for certain that this is the ambient music of the resort, but it sure comes close. It's just the thing if it's too long until your next trip to Orlando, or if your having a tropical themed party at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment