Monday, April 27, 2009

Disney Presents Carl Barks' Greatest Ducktales Stories Volume 1


Disney Presents Carl Barks' Greatest Ducktales Stories Volume 1
This special graphic novel collects the vintage Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge stories that DuckTales adapted to animation. This first volume includes "The Lost Crown of Genghis Khan, Land Beneath the Ground," "The Lemming with the Locket" and more!
Customer Review: Classic Carl Barks cartoon gems
This is great stuff... It's hard to beat these old, classic Carl Barks "Donald Duck" stories for their sheer entertainment value and craftsmanship, and for their family-friendly content. My kid recently expressed an interest in comic books, and I was dismayed to find out how little there is out there for really little kids to read... The old Harvey stuff is no longer on the market (and was way too dumb, anyway) and the superhero books I grew up on are just too violent, even reprints of the older stuff. The comicbook industry has grown up along with its readers, but it unfortunately forgot to leave some room for younger readers to enjoy the medium as well. Thank goodness, then, for these Disney reprints from Gladstone publishers -- if you're looking for kid-friendly comics that won't insult your intelligence, this is one of your best bets. (ReadThatAgain children's book reviews)
Customer Review: Ductales Volume 1
Great Comics! Inspired my youngest to love Scrooge and his nephews as I much as I do!


Disney's the Hunchback of Norte Dame: Little Library : Paris Pals, at the Festival, Quasimodo's Bell Tower, Such a Busy City
With spectacular pageantry, memorable music, and endearing characters, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is destined to become a classic. Designed for little hands, these four tiny books tell simple stories about Quasimodo, Esmeralda, and other characters from the film. Full color.-3 yrs.
Customer Review: A Delightful Read
This delightful novel has rekindled my desire to read or re-read the classics. I picked it up for no particular reason other than I had never read Hugo. I didn't expect much: My experience with the classics in high school and college was that they are dull and not worthy of modern reading. But, to my pleasant surprise, I discovered a fascinating book that is rich in wonderful characters and vivid descriptions of 13th century Paris. This is a very good book and it's easy to see why it has stood the test of time.
Customer Review: Notre Dame de Paris -- C'est perfect!
After a recent trip to Paris with my son on a business trip, I decided it was crazy that I had been to Paris and inside Notre Dame so often yet had not read this classic novel. As someone who loves modern Paris, this book captivated me with its vivid portrayal of life in medieval Paris. What a far cry from Baron Hausman's modern Paris -- a Paris with teeming with squalor, poverty, vagabonds -- and the King's Court. Hugo paints wonderful portraits of the main characters -- the hunchback bellringer of Notre Dame, Quasimodo; the tormented archdeacon, Claude Frollo; the exotically beautiful gypsy, Esmeralda. All of these characters and the city of Paris come to life in a way that transports one back 650 years. My only criticisms of the book are the couple of chapters that painstakingly outline the street detail of Paris and the layout of Notre Dame. For me, these interrupted the flow of the story, the development of the characters and left me quite bored. As soon as Hugo got back into the core story and plot, I was re-captivated. I do wish that the original French title was preserved -- Notre Dame de Paris -- rather than the English "Hunchback of Notre Dame". While Quasimodo is certainly a core character, the book is a story about medieval Paris, the daily life of the city, the ordinary citizens of the growing city,the privileged class and themes of love, passion, death and honor. For someone misled by the title, this book is far richer, deeper and more complex than just the story of a deformed bell-ringer of Notre Dame in spite of the images that are etched in most people's minds, a great many who haven't read the book. This is truly one of those novels that deserves its rightful place in the pantheon of literature classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment